Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Summer Morning

A recent summer morning found me in one of my favorite places - Jekyll Island, Georgia.  What a great excuse for a walk with my camera in hand!  The historic Jekyll Island Club - above - began life as a private club for America's captains of industry and finance.  For over 50 years, they and their families enjoyed this tropical paradise for hunting, fishing, golfing and enjoying the ocean.  Then World War Two brought everything to a halt.  Fast forward to the 1970's and beyond, when the island was restored by the state of Georgia and opened to the general public.
From the gorgeous lawn and extended grounds of the hotel, as the original club exists today, I passed massive live oaks too beautiful for words.

Adjacent to the old club, some of the members built "cottages" for their families, many of which remain standing today as historic structures.  My walk took me past a long row of these beauties, their front lawns stretching down to the water through more live oaks and stately palms.
Cherokee Cottage
  Crane Cottage
Formal gardens to the side of Crane Cottage
Villa Marianna
A stone lion - one of a pair who still stand watch over a turn-of-the-century swimming pool, long abandoned on the grounds of Hollybourne Cottage.
Following the path along the water, my walk eventually led me back to the hotel and a shady porch.
My recipe for the perfect summer morning?  Pick any day in June and go for a walk.  Chances are good that you will fall in love with life all over again.

Tomorrow is Countdown Friday
THE COUNT WILL BE 92


"It's a beautiful mornin'...I think I'll go outside for a while...and just smile..."
THE YOUNG RASCALS

No comments:

Post a Comment