Monday, August 16, 2010

Simple Joys

I can't seem to get away from the concept of simplicity these past few weeks, so here goes another post on the subject.  A couple of months ago we shot this photo on a pure, glorious Saturday morning in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.  This, of course, is an Amish farm - one of hundreds just like it that grace this spectacular section of the country.  We try to visit this area at least once a year if not more, and I never come away without having my artistic batteries recharged and my inspiration renewed.  My friend and fellow artist, Teresa Kogut (check out her blog at www.teresakogut.blogspot.com) just returned from her own annual road trip into the heartland.  As artists, we take inspiration from the simple joy of life that these farms and small towns so beautifully portray.  And, an added bonus in Pennsylvania for this Southern girl is the fact that those people up there have the good manners and presence of mind to serve grits for breakfast.

4 comments:

  1. Well, here's a northern gal who actually likes grits! When people say they don't like grits, they've never had them with gravy or maple syrup!
    Your photo is making me want to get in the car and drive to Lancaster County! It's been too long and I totally agree about coming home more inspired.
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth, for linking my blog to yours in this post! Beautiful picture....so peaceful. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane - you're giving me an idea for my next post. Stay tuned for "Grits 101"! Teresa, next road trip, see if you can come away with that coconut pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoreau had it right on the peace and serenity that comes from simplifying our lives, didn't he? And I wonder if he had grits on Walden Pond? Thanks for sharing, Beth!

    ReplyDelete