Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Makeover

Meet "The Little Potting Shed that Could".  When we bought our house five years ago, we inherited this little potting shed.  It didn't look like this.  It was hidden behind a tall fence.  The barn doors were trimmed out in ugly brick red.  The two windows you see here didn't exist.  In their place stood two metal "camper trailer windows" which were original to the building.  After my initial "I don't THINK so" reaction to seeing it for the first time, I doubled back with my artist's hat on.  "Hmmm...what if?  What if I send those trailer windows to the dump? (done in two shakes)  What if we replace them with some vintage wooden windows from the salvage yard?  (five bucks apiece) What if we build window boxes and fill them with pink and white impatiens?  (they are SO HAPPY there)  And what if I just move the whole fence forty feet THAT way?"  (well okay hubby moved the fence...)  The two posts with pineapple finials had been gathering dust for a few years, and we painted them white and planted them on either side of the entry.  The end result looks "right nice" as we like to say in these parts.  And we do keep pots in the potting shed - along with an old lawnmower, and seat cushions I haven't used in four years, and an old wheelbarrow, and you get the drift.  But to quote Dolly Parton in Steel Magnolias, "Well I don't know how you're doin' on the inside, honey, but your hair's holdin' up real well".  Here in the South, it's pretty much always about the hair...and the trailer windows.

5 comments:

  1. The little cupola on top is so channeling Mount Vernon! George Washington would be proud. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't know about George, but I'll bet Martha would have approved...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done what we've been talking about doing for a couple of years! But yours was there. We have to buy or build one. There are whole blogs out there devoted to just cute garden sheds. Yours should be included! It's adorable!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your lil' garden shed. The barn doors are so cool and I love the cupola...was that there already? (I am guessing not, since it had trailer windows) I have wanted a garden shed for years...but it always gets put on the back burner. Kevin asked me what I wanted it made out of and I told him stone....with four window-two in front and one on each side, window boxes on the front windows....I went on and on.....he didn't know how much thought I'd put into it. lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cupola WAS there, Teresa - perched right on top of those trailer windows! LOL! And once we put in the vintage windows, it made a little more sense. Hope Kevin has his stonemason skills ready - I would love to see that "potting shed in your head". Diane - there are entire blogs devoted to cute garden sheds?? I'll go look right now.

    ReplyDelete